This time of year, many families are just signing up for their fall family “Christmas card” sessions. And, if you are anything like me, the panic is building as you are scrambling to find what everyone will wear! But there is no need to fret…below you will find 5 tips below that should help make things simple and easy!
1. Dress mom first! Notice this tip is #1! My personal favorite on mom is a solid-color, jewel-tone dress or top. Not gray. Not black or white. But a pretty, detailed dress or top in a color that will bring out your best features. Flatter you best features with a fitted top, skinny belt to show your waist, even heels to make you legs longer. Think blues, purples, pinks, kelly green, teal, orange. Because honestly, when mom is happy, everyone is happy. Stephanie (the mom below) nailed it! Doesn’t she look absolutely gorgeous? A few of my favorite stores are Anthropologie, J Crew, Nordstrom’s, Francesca’s, Ann Taylor Loft, Piper Lime.
2. DON’T match. Seriously this is against everything the 90’s taught us about dressing for pictures. Don’t show up with everyone in a black shirt and khaki or denim pants…you will look like you just came from a funeral, not ready to take pictures in celebration of Baby Jesus’ birth. 😉 Dress one child in one color, dad in another. For kids’ clothing, I love Gap, Old Navy, Crewcuts, H&M, Janie & Jack, and Mini Boden. Then there’s always the late-night trip to SuperTarget…
3. I am a huge fan of texture and pattern. Denim, lace, knits. Floral, checkered, plaid. Incorporate a few subtle patterns and textures that will tie all of your colors together. Use two different types of patterns…for example, a graphic (stripes) and organic (floral). Notice in the picture below, there are pops of orange, pops of yellow, and pops of teal. Perfect! I couldn’t have done it better myself!
4. Accessorize and incorporate layers. Once again, these pictures show a perfect example of this. A scarce, a belt, a headband, cute shoes, and even boys in bowties…I’m dying! 🙂
5. Have fun! Relax and don’t stress. You can do it. If all of my tips fail you, check out my Pinterest Board with a few other ideas.